Sunday, April 4, 2021

My Testimony | the long version...

Easter | April 4, 2021

I am being baptized on Easter this year. Praise God for His goodness and grace to me. Here is my testimony of how Jesus saved me and how He has changed my life.

What was your life like BEFORE Christ?

When I was a little girl, I asked Jesus into my heart, because I was terrified of death, what came after, and just about everything else a little girl can be afraid of. Nothing significant changed, but for the next several years, I believed I was saved. In my self-righteous religion, I worked hard to earn the approval of both God and men, but the Bible says that, when compared to the glory of God’s holiness, “all our righteous deeds are like filthy rags.” (Is. 64:6) I may have had the outward appearance of godliness and fooled myself and others into believing I was a genuine follower of Christ, but as the Bible describes it, I was nothing more than a lover of self, proud, arrogant, ungrateful, heartless, a lover of pleasure rather than a lover of God. (2 Tim. 3:2-5)

I believed that I was a Christian into adulthood, but Scripture would describe the person I was as one who was spiritually dead. I desired for people to think me a friend of God, but privately I avoided Him at every opportunity. I feared and dreaded His divine justice, knowing my sin was great and deserving of it, but I could not understand His grace or mercy. I knew a lot about God, being raised in the Church, but I did not seek God and I did not love Him.

How did Jesus Christ CHANGE my life?

“But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Rom. 5:8)

“But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ.” (Eph. 2:4 & 5) 

One moment I was dead in my trespasses and sin, separated forever from my Creator, and in the twinkling of an eye, I was made alive, cleansed, forgiven, and set free from the power of sin, united with my Savior for all eternity. It seems to me that the most glorious, most significant, most grace-filled moment in a life should be easily remembered and also possibly accompanied by fireworks.

Mine wasn’t. I don’t know when that exact moment happened for me, but I do know this…

Over time, the Holy Spirit began softening my heart to draw me to the Lord in genuine saving faith. At some point along the way, I began to experience godly sorrow over my sin which eventually led to genuine repentance (2 Cor. 7:10) I must have confessed with my mouth that Jesus is Lord and genuinely believed in my heart that God raised Him from the dead. (Rom. 10:9-10) And in that glorious moment, whenever it was, not of my own works, but because of His great grace, Jesus forgave my sin and gave me new life in Him.

In the Old Testament, God describes it like this: “I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone… and give you a heart of flesh.” (Ez.36:26) In the New Testament, we are told: “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” (2 Cor. 5:17)

What has your life been like SINCE Jesus saved you?

Before I knew Jesus, I would read Scriptures that say things like – “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart” – and I would despair of ever receiving any good thing from God, because I had no earthly clue what it meant to delight in Him. Now, when I consider who He is and all He has done, in my life and the lives of others, I cannot help but respond in worship.

Instead of giving me all the selfish desires my sinful heart could want, the Lord is gradually and graciously changing my heart to desire the things He wants for me, things that bring Him praise and me great joy.

Instead of working to earn the approval of God, I am learning to rest in the sufficiency of His grace, because in my weakness, He is strong.

Through trials and suffering, I am learning to rejoice, not in circumstances, but in the steadfast kindness and unchanging character of God, who works all things for my good and for His own glory.

Though I fail every day, sometimes grievously, by God’s grace, I am learning to hate sin and to long for righteousness...for His Name’s sake.

The longer I am privileged to walk with Jesus and know the joy that comes from knowing Him and being known by Him, the more I realize how empty and hopeless my life was before He called me out of darkness into His marvelous light. (1 Pet. 2:9)

On the day of my salvation, it was Jesus who began a good work in me, and He promises to continue it until the work is finished. (Phil. 1:6)

Because of all these things and more, I am learning that I can say, with Paul, that “to live is Christ and to die is gain,” (Phil. 1:21) because a life apart from Jesus is no life at all, and because I am looking forward to the glorious day when I will see my Savior face to face.

Why do you want to be BAPTIZED today?

For me, it all comes down to love, really. Before Jesus saved me, I didn’t know what it meant to love God, to love His Word, or to love others the way we’re called to in Scripture. I was hard-hearted and selfish, and when I did obey, I did it to please others or to earn their favor or approval. Or praise, like a pharisee.

With this new God-given, "mushy-gushy" heart of mine, I am learning what it means to forget myself, and to treasure Christ, and to love others. And that is a miracle.

Today, from a heart of loving obedience, I want to be baptized as a symbol of my once being dead in sin, buried with Christ, and raised to new life in Him.

I want to declare my love for God’s people and my church family and ask them to come alongside me and hold me accountable to living a life that honors the Lord.

And because my heart has been changed by Jesus Christ, I long to see others come to know Him too. If you believe God is calling you to salvation, don’t harden your heart but respond in obedience to Him today. Turn from your sin, receive forgiveness and new life in Him. He will give you a new heart and He will put His Spirit within you. He will make you a new creation, and you will be forever changed.

“For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.” (2 Cor. 5:14-15)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive